Many common household plants and flowers are poisonous to pets.

On the day that you pick up your new puppy or kitten, you make sure that everything at home is prepped. Right? Food, toys, treats, litter trays.  Although pet owners are eager to introduce a new pet into the household, many don’t think about the possible dangers posed by the plants in their house or yards. Hundreds of plants are poisonous to pets, which is why we commonly see plant ingestions in our urgent care service. When pets consume highly toxic plants it can be fatal — even if only a small amount is ingested. Below is information about some of the more common plants poisonous to pets:

Lillies: Easter lilies, tiger lilies, Japanese showy lilies and various day lilies can cause acute kidney failure and death in cats.

Rhododendrons & Azalias: Rhododendron species contain gryanotoxin leading to neurologic, gastrointestinal and heart disorders.

Castor Bean: The toxic principle of castor bean is ricin, which is one of the most potent toxins known. All parts of the plant are toxic, but the seeds contain the highest concentrations.

Lily of the Valley: Numerous plants contain cardiac glycosides including lily of the valley (Covallaria majalis), Siberian squill, and purple foxglove. All parts of these plants are toxic and even small amounts can cause significant illness, including death.

Cycad Palms: These ornamental plants are often grown as houseplants. Ingestion in pets can result in liver damage and gastrointestinal signs.

INTERESTED IN MORE INFORMATION? Check out the ASPCA Poison Control Center’s List of Poisonous Plants. Or, you can always e-mail or call us any time with questions or concerns! (503) 749-9400.